IUI Success rates & factors

Symptoms of IUI Pregnancy
August 24, 2021
Sexually Transmitted Diseases
September 10, 2021

The IUI treatment procedure has found to be especially beneficial for couples with an unexplained infertility diagnosis or for those women with cervical mucous or scarred fallopian tubes. As for the success rate of the procedure in the first try of an IUI cycle, it is somewhere around 10 to 20 percent. Hence most couples are advised to go for at least three IUI cycles for better chances of conception. Based on each couple’s specific situation this number can even be six.

The conditions where an IUI treatment cycle can have the lowest success rate are if the woman has moderate to severe endometriosis, if the man produces no sperm, if the woman suffers from severe fallopian tube disease, if both fallopian tubes have been removed or blocked or if there have been multiple episodes of pelvic infections. In such cases the alternative treatment of IVF will be recommended instead of IUI.

The female patient’s age is perhaps the most crucial factor that determines the success rate of IUI. In women over the age of 40, the chances of a successful outcome are quite low without the added help of fertility drugs. The rate of success may also come down for those couples that haven’t been able to conceive even after three IUI treatment cycles. Women that are between the ages of 20-30 have a pregnancy rate of 17.6% whereas this gets reduced to 5.4% in women over the age of 40.

By using injectable fertility medications though, the odds of pregnancy can be dramatically changed. As with medication the success rate per each IUI cycle is 10% for women with age of 35-40 years and 5% for women above 40 years. Fertility medications that have proven to be helpful are either Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH) or the combo with Luteinizing Hormone (LH). The injecting of FSH with or without LH helps in producing multiple follicle or cysts containing eggs.

In patients with PCOS, when IUI is coupled with gonadotropins the success rate is 14-26 percent per cycle. Unexplained fertility is when there is a good egg count, a healthy uterus, open fallopian tubes, and a good sperm count under all normal conditions. The success rate for this category is 7% to 10% per IUI cycle. When the treatment is combined with fertility drugs, the success rates can increase to 15% to 25%.

With progression of age, there will be a marked decrease in the egg quality and this will have a direct bearing on the IUI treatment success. Under 35 years, the IUI success rate is 13%, from 35 to 37 years there can be a 10% success rate, from 38 to 40 years a 9% success rate and over 40 years about 3 to 9% success rate. Apart from this there can be a number of factors that can work for or against the success of the procedure like timing of the procedure, patient’s general health, skill of the doctor, semen parameters, stimulation regimens or ovulation medications or timing.

Here’s where you can reach us for enquiries and online appointments


Phone Numbers: 0471-2544080,0471-2544706
Email: [email protected]

Comments are closed.